Traveling can be stressful, especially when you’re traveling with your family. I don’t have children yet, but I’ve always dreamed of taking them on all kinds of adventures. This also really scares me since so many things can go wrong while traveling. Here are 21 family travel quotes that I hope keep you inspired to travel with your family.
1. “Travel is not reward for working, its education for living.” – Anthony Bourdain
Starting this out with one of my favorite quotes ever. Traveling is so much more than a getaway to relax or a break from reality. Every time I travel I learn something new. It is the best form of education. Taking your children with you when you travel is both rewarding and educational.
2. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddam mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
Don’t let life get in the way of your dreams. Yes, we all have things to do around the house, but we have to get out and make memories that we will remember forever.
3. “Never let your memories be greater than your dreams.” – Doug Ivester
Memories are in the past and your dreams represent your future. Don’t ever stop dreaming. Then take those dreams and make them a reality.
4. “May your adventures bring you closer together, even as they take you far away from home.” – Trenton Lee Stewart
Traveling with your family is such a blessing. Even if you are traveling far from home, you will be growing closer to your family.
5. “As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen.” – A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
This quote makes me emotional. All I can think about when I hear this is how I will feel when I become a parent. When you start a family it becomes an adventure in itself. Being able to take my kids with me when I travel will be the adventure of a lifetime.
6. “Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.” – Lovelle Drachman
Children are curious by nature. Just because you grow up doesn’t mean the curiosity goes away. Being curious and spontaneous are two of my best and worst qualities. Curiosity is the reason I started traveling in the first place and I won’t stop now.
7. “Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion.” – Leigh Hunt
Never feel homesick when you’re traveling with your loved ones. I’ve been homesick once when we traveled to Italy for three weeks. I missed my dog so much by the last week I was ready to book an early flight home.
8. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes memory.” – Dr. Suess
I love this quote. It’s true, you really never know how much experiences mean until you remember them later.
9. “Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” – Aristotle
Traveling with your family grows your heart as well as your mind. You experience amazing things and sometimes even make some friends along the way.
10. “The greatest legacy we can leave our children is happy memories.” – Og Mandino
Happy memories are the best things we can give anyone especially our children. Nothing physical compares to the memories that live on forever.
11. “The best education you will ever get is traveling. Nothing teaches you more than exploring the world and accumulating experiences.” – Mark Paterson
Traveling really is the best form of education. Especially when traveling with your family. It teaches you how to be patient, how to adapt to different circumstances, and you get to learn about different cultures.
12. “Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.” – Lewis Carrol
Yes, kids love toys and games but, let me tell you when they get older they won’t remember all the toys they received. They will remember the things you did, the trips you went on, and the time you all spent together.
13. “Travel is like an endless university. You never stop learning.” – Harvey Lloyd
Again, you learn so much when traveling. Not just at museums and monuments. You learn about different cultures, rituals, and all kinds of delicious food.
14. “Once the travel bug bites, there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin
This is one of the truest things I have ever read. When we traveled to Italy for the first time I never knew it was going to be so addicting.
15. “Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education, in the elder, a part of experience.” – Francis Bacon
Travel while you’re young and educate your mind, it will make you wise and experienced when you’re older.
16. “There are no perfect parents and there are no perfect children, but there are plenty of perfect moments along the way.” – Dave Willis
Yes, Yes, Yes. There is no such thing as being perfect. Everyone messes up and makes mistakes. There are however perfect moments spent with family.
17. “Every day we make deposits in the memory banks of our children.” – Charles R Swindoll
Every single day we have a chance to make memories. You don’t have to always be traveling. There are tons of travel-related ideas to do at home with your family. If you want some ideas you can check out my list here.
18. “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” – Dolly Parton
It’s easy to get caught up in a “normal” life. Working, housework, and doing homework with the kids it can be a lot. But don’t let the things you need to do around the house stop you from living a fun and exciting life.
19. “Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children are roots and wings.” – Hodding Carter
As long as your children have somewhere to call home and the ability to explore you are doing right by them.
20. “The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey
Yes, it can be scary to take risks and stray away from the day to day life. The best thing you can do for you and your family is to live the life of your dreams. Be an example for your kids. Show them your dreams are worth fighting for.
21. “Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.” – Unknown
This was something I had to learn fast. I was the person that bought keychains, postcards, and knickknacks. You know, all the touristy souvenirs. All stuff I didn’t need. I realized all I need and want is pictures and memories of my travels that I can share with everyone. Memories are far more valuable than any souvenir you can buy. And no I’m not saying don’t buy anything while on vacation. It’s fun to bring things back for family and friends. I’m just saying that the memories and pictures are far more valuable.
I hope these family travel quotes inspire you to set out on adventures with your families.
Tell me your favorite family travel memory!